The Danube and the Passion Play, A Perfect Pairing
Do you love history, tradition, exploration and theater? Experience all these on one unforgettable vacation.
The Passion Play in Oberammergau, Germany is a true bucket list experience, made even more perfect when enjoyed before or after one of our Danube river cruises.
5 facts you may not know about Oberammergau and the Passion Play:
- The first Passion Play was performed 387 years ago in 1634.
- Oberammergau is a beautiful, historic Bavarian town known for woodcarvings, elaborate frescoes painted on many homes and buildings.
- After the devastating Thirty Years War (1618-1648), the townspeople vowed to perform a play every ten years depicting the life and death of Jesus, since God spared the town from the plague during and after the war.
- Actors begin to grow their hair and beards well in advance of the play.
- Almost 2,000 residents, or half of its population, participate in the Passion Play in some capacity.