This panoramic train connects the north of Europe to its south – right through the UNESCO World Heritage site of Rhaetian Railway, passing by glaciers on its way down to palm trees.
Itinerary > Tirano - St. Moritz
Hailed as one of the most spectacular train routes in the world, the Bernina Express between the Italian city Tirano and the Swiss Alpine resort St. Moritz is not one to be missed. As well as being a UNESCO World Heritage route, the Bernina Express is the highest train in Europe with its winding track reaching peak altitudes at Ospizio Bernina station (2,253m). Relax behind panoramic windows as you sweep between the contrasting scenery of Italian palms and Swiss glaciers, taking in the many cultural landmarks and engineering highlights along the way. Travel from Tirano to St. Moritz in 2 hrs 11 mins.
Service On Board:
- Panorama railcars 1st and 2nd class
- Info train system: a personal, digital travel companion with audio guide and interactive route map. The app can be used free of charge with one’s private mobile device (i.e. smartphone, tablet). It is available in 6 languages: GE, EN, FR, IT, JP, CN.
- Audio information in English, German and Italian between Tirano and St. Moritz. Between St. Moritz and Chur in English and Germany only.
- Bernina Express travel guide at your seat
- Onboard library in 1st class
- Bernina Express souvenir certificate, obtainable from the railway stations of Chur, St. Moritz or Tirano on presentation of ticket
- Bernina Express Souvenir Shop
- Handicapped-accessible toilets and wheelchair seating
- Free WiFi available
Eating and drinking
On Bernina Express, the minibar serves regional snacks, refreshing drinks and hot coffee directly at the seat:
- For special occasions and on advanced order, Bernina Express “Catering Packages” offered. The detailed content of these packages is available at berninaexpress.ch.
- The train has no dining car. During lunchtime in Poschiavo, Le Prese or in Tirano (Italy) many restaurants are on offer.